~*~

~*~

Friday, December 27, 2013

Balloons!

I just finished reading a book about writing.
And there was some very fascinating and helpful stuff in it.
And I thought I'd mention of few of the topics I liked.

Apparently writers form groups to help each other with writing. But in these groups, they don't offer advice. They only meet to tell each other what they like about their writing.
Apparently it's really important for people to hear what they do well. It gives them confidence and energy to continue working.
So people meet for the sole purpose of giving each other positive feedback.
I don't think I've ever seen so much praise about, well, praise.

And another thing she mentioned was something I've thought about a lot (mainly because of some DA journal posts from artists, talking about family/friend problems). I've been pretty lucky in this category, and I wonder what makes it difficult for other people.
What she says is to surround yourself with good people, and try to avoid "balloon poppers." Balloon popers are people that bring you down by popping the balloons that keep you afloat. So, stay with people that make you feel flooaty, not with people that bring you crashing down.
There's a lot of ways that people can be balloon poppers. If they're self-centered, greedy, insulting, or insecure it can take some of your float away. Even simple little comments can pop balloons. Perhaps they don't like how some people are happier than they are and they consciously or unconsciously decide to make you sink. Some people might do it on purpose, but others probably don't even realize that they're bringing you down.
I suppose it's impossible to always avoid balloon-poppers, but do your best. Keep people around you that give you energy and make you feel floaty.
Yaay, floaty!


I think I'll talk about the last thing tomorrow. Because it's all about procrastination (That's why I'm putting it off until tomorrow. Or maybe a few days later. Hmm).

No comments: