~*~

~*~

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Female Characters

So, as I was writing that post about moments that I can't get out of my head, I realized that none of those characters were female. I did a bit of digging, and found that Midna fit into that category, but it got me thinking again about how nearly all of my favorite characters are male.
There are several tough female characters, but I don't think it's just a matter of making strong female characters. They seem to be lacking... something. I'm not sure how to put it into words though.
Maybe it has to do with so many charcters just fitting into certain slots. Like this person is comedy relief. That guy is the brains. Maybe this is just stickign more to female characters now thatn it is to males?
I think I covered some of this "character awesomeness by gender" in a previous post, but this Youtube video got me thinking more. Especially about how very subtle sexism influences us without us even being aware of it.



And as I think of this, I keep thinking about how I can make my female characters deeper and more interesting. In Red Seeker, the main character is a boy. But I have a lot of heroines in other stories that I have planned. In fact, I think most of my main characters are female.

What do you guys think about this? (Trying to bring more people to post on my blog...)

No comments: