~*~

~*~

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Scales of Carp

So, there's short story I've been kind of working on. It's called Scales of Carp.
It's based off of a Chinese myth I read about somewhere. According to this myth. there is a waterfall somewhere that leads to the dragon's kingdom (Chinese dragons are said to have the scales of a carp, hence the title of the story). A dragon guard this waterfall, because if any koi leaps over the waterfall, that koi will become a dragon.
So, the longer version of my story is about a little koi and a human boy who are traveling upriver to try to find the dragon kingdom to ask them to bring rain because of a severe drought. Both of them aim to help a little girl who is sick and crippled. And the boy and the koi can talk to each other.
So, I made a severely shortened version of this story (mainly of the ending) for a couple of purposes. Here's one reason:
Humanities is a big honors course that lasts 2 years. You stay with the same kids, so you get to make a lot of good friends (I have some in that class, like Nick and Tracey). So, on the last day of class, it's tradition for kids to put on skits. So, I'd been thinking about it on and off through the semester and had prepared my short 2-page story. I was gonna get Nick to do the koi's voice, and Tracey to do the dragon's voice. I'd have the most dialogue as the narrator. Turns out Tracey's too shy to speak in public. -_-
You know what else? No one else in the class had anything prepared. A couple kids improved, but that's it. So, I recruited a girl from my class and read my story.
Well, didn't turn out quite perfect. Mel, especially, made the dragon sound kind of goofy and... stupid. So my touching story ended up sounding kind of dumb. Sigh. Well, I only stumbled once. Usually I'm not too great at reading out loud, but I knew my story well enough that I did OK.
Whatever. What can you expect? Professor Scaff said that it was really good. So did another girl in the class.
Yeeeaaaah. I hope so.

No comments: