~*~

~*~

Thursday, October 7, 2010

CW-Adverbs and Adjectives

OK, so this was an interesting exercise. People use lots of adjectives and adverbs.
The stunning view.
It flowed quickly.
A green monster.
But some people overuse them.
So, remember the 5 weekly observations? First we had sensory observations for a few weeks. Then eavesdropping for a week. This week, we need 5 sensory observations (of any length) that have absolutely no adjectives or adverbs.
You may think, "then what is there that's left to write about? How can I describe things?
Well, what you need to do is use absolutely fantastic nouns and verbs. They need to take over what adj. and adv. usually do.
And then we had an assignment to write an entire paragraph or page like that too. It was tricky. I guess i'll post mine, though I'm not entirely sure that it's adv. and adj. free. Partially cause some adjectives can be swapped around to play the roles of nouns and verbs.
Anyway, my mind returned to the camp I was volunteering at this summer. That was such a nice night...

Darkness pressed in from all sides. the fire flickered, casting light and warmth over us. Parkle's guitar thrummed and I hummed along to the song. Jahslyn sat on a stump, leaning towards the heat. Parkle switched songs and I let my voice drop out.
No sound came from the tents. It was just the guitar and the flames, singing their duet.
Sparks flutter into the air and blink out. Smoke ripples towards the sky. Stars glow between pine boughs. It's as though peace is settling in the air, thickening to the point where I feel I can place my hand on it. Yet it's elusive to my fingers, like the smoke.

No comments: