~*~

~*~

Saturday, January 8, 2011

CW-Eraseure Poem

This post is actually a leftover from my creative writing class.
Our teacher gave us a page of text and told us to cross out everything except the parts we liked. And we'd write a poem with the remaining lines.
An Erasure Poem (Erase-your poem).
So, I crossed out the uninteresting parts (to me at least) and then went back and circled the stuff I really liked.

And here's what I got.

They Twist toward light,
A row of Ice Teeth.
I see something fall.
Snow falls,
Become something crystalline
The sole of the glacier
Heat and cold, melting and freezing,
Inextricably bound.
It lives by giving itself away.
It saves everything,
Time incarnate,
We're burning libraries.
Ice grew
Like vines.
Glaciers could disappear.


The whole point is that poems are not normal text. They use much fewer words than prose. You can cut a lot of words out of a poem without taking anything away from it.

No comments: