~*~

~*~

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Parents!!

Augh! What to do with the parents of my characters!? Pretty much all of my characters are kids! And for some of their adventures, parents would sort of get in the way! What do I do with their parents!?!? I've found that in several of my stories, the parents kind of... well... die. I don't like doing that! But what else can I do with them? In "The Light of the Sun," Will hates his parents and decides to just leave them. In the story I'm writing now, Dawna's parents are away for a couple weeks to let her go away for a while without her parents stopping her from leaving.
But it seems wrong. My parents are cool (usually, but no parents are cool ALL the time) so it feels weird to have so many sets of my story parents... die. I definitely need to give some parents better roles in my stories!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My next idea is so Eddings inspired. Since you don't want them to die off all the time, sometimes you just need to leave them to do something mundane, like farming turnips.

Well, do you want the parents to come back in the story later on or just tie it up and say they were more or less occupied with life while their kids went adventuring?