~*~

~*~

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Teaser

So, here's a little part of my story. It'll make more sense if you've actually read it, but here's the info. Clara just escaped from the palace, and the guards are chasing her. Suddenly, one of the huge viscious wyverns flies out of the forest and attacks the guards. Clara thinks she's next. By the way, all the summaries/ideas/story clips I post are all my "property," so don't you dare steal them anyone! (this is mainly aimed at people who are visiting this blog, not the actual posters).

The wind slammed me into the ground as the wyvern hovered overhead. I felt the scales of the wyvern’s foot brush my back, but instead of crushing me, the clawed toes wrapped around my body, pining my arms to my sides and lifting me off the ground.
I watched in horror as the forest and stream drop swiftly away beneath me.
I opened my mouth to scream, but no sound came out. Wind, either from the powerful wing beats or the speed at which we were traveling, made my voice choke in my throat. I tried to wrench my arms free, but the powerful talons didn’t give way. My feet were also unable to move, try as I might to kick. I was at the mercy of this beast. But where was she taking me? Was she going to eat me?
Trees passed by in a blur beneath me. The ride can’t have lasted more than a few minutes, but the wyvern must have carried me miles in that time. We were flying so fast...
Finally I gave up struggling, realizing that it was useless. If I saved my energy, maybe I could run when if she put me down. But then I was finding it difficult to breathe. The foot was placing enormous pressure on my ribs, and the wind was so powerful that I could only gasp for short breaths. If this thing did put me down, I would probably not have the strength to run.
In my slightly dazed state, I noticed that we were drawing towards the mountains-to the north of the palace. The mountain range was made up of tall, jagged spires of rock that cut into the sky like so many swords. Only a few hardy trees were able to attach to the sides of the cliffs. The sight made me shiver. Or as much as one can shiver when the breath is being squeezed out of them by an enormous set of claws. Back at the palace, I had stared at those mountains from the windows, thinking that they would be a much more pleasant home than the palace. Everything felt like a better home than the palace. But now that I was being carried there in the claws of a wyvern, the mountains looked much less inviting.
Eventually I noticed that we were losing altitude. Below us lay a large patch of rocky ground that interrupted the forest. It was up against the cliff-side of a small plateau, which rested at the foot of the mountains. And dotted about the rock patch of ground and perched on the plateau cliffs were wyverns. As we dropped further nests came into view, dispersed throughout the rocks. It was an entire gale of wyverns, for just as there is a herd of buffalo or a flock of birds, so too is there a gale of wyverns.
My captor dropped low over the rocks and hovered above one of these nests. Then her talons opened and I flopped into the pile of debris of the nest-twigs, leaves and discarded wyvern scales.
I stumbled to my feet to try and scramble out of the nest, but the wyvern landed in front of me, blocking my path. It was useless to run. There were several wings-lengths of rocks between the forest and I, and I would never be able to outrun all of the wyverns. Besides, where would I go? Better to die quickly here than starve to death in the vast forest. There was nowhere to run.

2 comments:

E said...

1Paragraph 2Sentence "pining"
2P 1S "drop" should be "dropped"
3P where she's wondering where the wyvern is taking her, the questions and the sentence after it all end in me.
The debris sentence where you describe the nest, I think you should reword it so the nest doesnt sound like it's made from the debris.
Other than that it's really coming together well!!! I'll catch up with the other reading sometime this week ^-^

E said...

PS "a little part"? ^-^