~*~

~*~

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Character development

Well, I think one of my biggest problems in writing is character development, as you keep telling me. But it's true. A lot of my characters seem rather similar to each other. Shoot. Usually I don't have problems with plot or anything. Ideas just come to me eventually. Usually all at once, which is why it's useful to have a notebook around. If I try too hard, I usually can't think of anything good. I have to let it come to me if I want my ideas to be really interesting.
On the alien story I'm working on, I know what's going to happen up to a certain point, but no idea what's going to happen after that. I do a LOT of improvising in my stories. "On Wings of Wyverns" was completely imrpovised. Here's the scoop. Stephanie reccommended a little book called "The Writer's Block." It's literally block shaped. A tiny, fat little book, and on each page is something to spark your imagination. I thought it was cool, so I went out and bought a copy. I opened up the book to a spark word (I think that's what it's called) and it was "polygamy". REALLY weird, but lo and behold, the entire "On Wings of Wyverns" unfolded from that little word. And that story has absolutely nothing to do with polygamy, except that it's implied about once. My alien story has had a lot of improvization too. I just untangled a lot of it two nights ago. I think the alien story was sparked by a little idea that popped into my head. An epiphony. I thought, "what if you had a pet, and one day it turned into something else? It wasn't really the animal you thought it was. So as you're staring at your 'pet,' it says to you, 'don't worry. you're not hallucinating. I'm a shapeshifter.'" By the way, I still don't have a title for this alien story. I'll have to think of one. I'll probably wait until I finish it. That's when I can think of the best titles. And I have to write down lists of words and ideas to come up with really good ones. "Lullaby of Awakening" took me quite a while to think of. And after I thought up the name "On Wings of Wyverns," I decided I didn't like it. So brainstormed some more names and came up with "On Wings of Freedom." But Ellen and Nicole told me it was too corny. So phoo to you (even though I agree). And I changed it back to "On Wings of Wyverns."
Sure, Ellen. I'll read your stories. I like your stories (if you ever finish any of them). And since you've helped me with all my stories, it's the least I can do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

On character development: It's always good to give your characters a reasonable amount of flaws, funny flaws, odd flaws, whatever kind of flaws you like. Go against stereotypes every once and a while just to mess with people.

That's just a suggestion of course, not necessarily something you need to follow. ^_~

Writer's Block Books: EPIC. I love those little books. 8D It's so fun to see what comes out of them.

Titles: Sometimes the corny titles do just work the best since they sum it all up neatly, but don't give too much away, yet catch your attention.

E said...

Yay flaws!!!! I like making people with flaws and "mess with people" like Stephanie said ^_^ I think that sometimes my characters are thinking "There must be some insane girl who makes all these crazy things happen that make absolutely no sense at all!!!" But that is the joy of having power over what happens in a story!!!
I need to go get one of those Writer's Block Books...That'd be good for drawing stuff too!
Hm...but corny titles are just so...corny and cliche.

Anonymous said...

Corny and cliche are two different things though. Cliche things are mostly corny, but not all corny things are cliche.

E said...

It takes awhile to figure out what you mean ^_^ I was like O_o for a second there. But yeah it's true, very true.

Tara C said...

You and your crazy faces.