~*~

~*~

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Magic Flute

Hey, what do you know? We've almost reached 50 posts! In just a few weeks! We probably can't keep this pace up for long. I just have so much I want to write now. I literally have a list of stuff I want to post. I want to keep the blog going for as long as I can. I don't want it to die, as so many other websites do. So, we'll see.
Time to write about "The Magic Flute." It's named after a rather famous song by Mozart. I took the name of his song just because it fit so perfectly for what I had in mind. I wrote it first semester of my junior year in high school.
So, first of all, the characters. There's Michael, Liz, Annie, and Alex. Liz is the main character. She's named after a girl who I used to know. When I was a freshman in high school, she was considered the best flutist in school. I didn't know her really well, but I though it appropriate to use her name for this, considering the Liz in the story if a flutist.
Annie is named after a girl who I used to be very good friends with in elementary school. I still know her, but unfortunately we sort of grew apart. Some of my fellow "bloggers" may know her. I know for a fact that Ellen calls her "over achiever." She used to play trumpet, but she stopped after about a year of it.
Michael is a boy I know up in Nevada City. I've known him for years, but only see him when I go up to those parts. The last time I saw him was during a music camp I went to up there. He does play cello. And he likes to wear top hats. He does have an older sister named Lauren, who also makes her debut in this story.
Alex is a boy I knew AGES ago. We used to be friends so long ago that I can't even remember when it was. But he, like so many other people I knew, disappeared. He did indeed have a younger brother, but I don't remember his name. So, I just named his brother in the story Max because it felt right.
So, now for the plot. (spoilers) Alex, Liz, Annie, and Michael all live on another planet. This is sort of a futuristic story. But they all go to a school reserved for very good musicians. Liz especially is a great flutist, but she really doesn't think she's very good because she's 5th flute. (I've noticed that many good artists don't think they're good, so I was commenting on that) They have a legend about a magic flute. Hundreds of years ago, a man had a magic flute. When the world was wracked by giant earthquakes, he played his flute and calmed the land.
There's is currently a war going on between their country and the neighboring country. Just as the four characters are let out for summer vacation, an enemy ship comes and drops a bomb. They barely escape with their lives, but their parents decide that they better get out of the city and go somewhere safer.
So, they fly out to the country, intending to stay at a relative's house. But before they get there, they are forced to duck in cover in the mountains when a wave of enemy ships passes by.
Stuck alone in the mountains until the enemy ships pass, they start to explore. They find a cave that looks as though someone used to live there. There's a carpet, a desk, a music stand, some music, and a flute. All of them immediately think of the legend of the Magis Flute. So Liz takes it and the music sheets outside and starts to play. The sound of the flute seems to reach forever, and the music desolves te war ships. The men controlling the ships drift gently to the ground and listen in awe to the music of the Magic Flute. All desire to fight has left them.

No comments: