~*~

~*~

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Underground Mysteries

Admittedly, it's a corny title. But it's the best I could think of to title this next story given the time I had to write it. I actually wrote this for school. We didn't have a final for AP Biology because we had the AP test. So instead we had to write a story that had to do with biology. That class had a lot of homework. Apparently it's the hardest class at Aragon, but I don't know if it's true. Near the end of the year, we had to read 2 chapters per week (long chapters with lots of review questions) and we had to come in early up to 3 times a week, sometimes more. And I'm not a morning person. It takes a lot to drag me out of bed in time to get ready for school, let alone an hour early to go and take notes on cells and biomes. Or to disect dead animals. I did not enjoy that. I like animals too much to want to rip them apart, even if it is just a lamprey.
But back to the story. Moeka and Shirley were my partners. Moeka drew the pictures, Shirley compiled the information necessary to understand the story (definitions of comples Bio words) and I wrote the story. Usually I would say that I did most of the work for our group, but I liked writing it. And it would have gotten confusing if we all tried to work on the story all at once.
So, the plot. Most other people did it from the point of view of a cell or something like that, or talked about natural selection and stuff. But I wanted to be original. So I didn't do anything like that. I wrote a story about 2 kids, Michael and Sarah. They're in 6th grade (the story was supposed to be geared towards 6th graders for some unknown reason) Michael is a freaking genius in the region of biiology because his parents are biologists, sort of a kid Sherlock Holmes. And Sarah is his friend. She's smart, but not as smart as him. Michael is actually based off a real person, Michael Fagan (That would be funny if he ever ended up reading this)-A kid I met at a marine biology camp (that was really fun). I think just before 8th grade. He knew everything! People thought of him as kind of a geek, and he always wore this bright yellow hat. I told my dad about the hat a few days ago (because I found a slide show from the camp and I was reminded of the hat) and dad said that the hat just sounded like a different way of expressing yourself. But then I showed him the hat (with a really wide brim on the front and a flap on the back to protect your neck, all bright yellow) and dad said "that hat is ugly as sin." And I only saw him without that hat on once for the whole week. So, he and Liz and I hung out for the camp (Liz had kind of a temper problem, and claimed that she gave her brother a first-hand account of what it meant to be a eunich) but we were able to make it through the week without Liz killing anyone. Michael and I were pen pals for a while, but like so many people, he disappeared. He stopped writing.
Right. I digress. Back to the story. I just like to write the inspiration for my characters. So, these 2 kids are at school when suddenly some monster breaks out of the ground in the middle of the field. It's a huge, furry thing with huge wings, and it was apparently sleeping underground for many years.
It flies away, leaving the school in a state of uproar. They hear news about it everywhere, and Michael uses his knowledge to find out a bunch of stuff about this "sky bear" as he calls it. And when the sky bear comes back, Michael and Sarah "befriend" it. He lets them fly on his back, and he takes them out to the Nevada deserts. Inside an abandoned mine, they discover a nest of baby sky bears. All of them were apparently asleep also, in some sort of dormant state. But one of them is missing. So, Michale and Sarah help the father sky bear find his last baby and everyone lives happily ever after.

1 comment:

E said...

So the biology bit was finding out the stuff about the sky bear? Sounds like a pretty cool story though. Kind of odd to think about really, cause bears "hibernate" in caves (or so we're led to believe) and birds fly around in the sky. It's like that one quote from Fiddler on the roof, "A bird may love a fish but where would they build their home?" at least I think it was from that play.