~*~

~*~

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Beta Gang

Aww, the cat guys are so cute! Awwww!
I actually got a comment from Ellen on my Zelda story too!!! Yaay! Finally! Except her username's different so at first I was just "Whaaat?"
I praise Ellen on her homework abilities. ^-^
Ooh! Our Arith and Saleera story has been updated about as much as we can think of so far. Except I actually gotta elaborate on Ginger's anti-socialness cause I never actually fixed that...
I'm gonna try to keep the blog updated about my progress on the story I want to write.
On Thurdsay, I had an idea explosion during class and on the way home.
Cause needed lots of names.
The first part of it was assisted by Jenny. I don't know if I've ever mentioned her on the blog. In case I didn't, she's my only college friend who I know from High School. I met her back in 5th grade when she moved here from China. And then we ran into each other again in High School, which is awesome how that works out! Waah! Awesome re-meetings!
So, I asked Jenny to help me think of a name for the King's Chinese Dragon. (She told me that "dragon" in Chinese is technically spelled Long, but I'll probably still stick with Loong).
So, she asked for a word, but I couldn't think of a word, so I just kind of blurted out "tide, or wave." So she said "Chao."
And then she told me that dragons are always addressed with "Long." And then if he's a king dragon, you can add "Wong" on the end.
So, the dragon's name is Chao Long Wong.
(Or Chao Loong Wong).
So, the King calls him Chao cause they're really close. And other important people call him "Chao Loong," and then normal people could call him "Chao Loong Wong."
Whoo. That's a lot.
Thanks for your help, Jenny!
Then in the class I had right after talking to Jenny, I started designing the gang I want in my story. And I started getting really excited about them.
I found the leader's name first. Then I found names for all the members. they have names like Spike and Singe and stuff. And I found a name for the gang. They're the Betas, because Beta is another name for Siamese fighting fish. And since most of the gang is part of a race that lives near the sea, they're like fighting fish. The leader of the Betas is this cool guy named Kon. Except the rest of the gang calls him Alpha (get it? Greek letter Alpha and Beta, and an Alpha is like the leader of a pack of wolves?)
And then as I was thinking of names, the name Rosey popped into my mind for no reason whatsoever. And I went "why would a gang have someone names Rosey? And then I thought, well, they SHOULD have a girl in the gang. That would be cool. And maybe her name COULD be Rosey, but she doesn't like being called that cause it's too girly? So, maybe she's really tough, and if someone calls her Rosey, she gets up in your face and pokes them in the chest and says "Don't call my Rosey. It's Thorn." (Thorn is her nickname in the Betas. She's beautiful like a rose, but covered in sharp thorns).
And Kon calls her Rose, even though it kinda bugs her.
So, most (not all) of the gang is the one race that's prejudiced against, that comes near the ocean. I STILL needed a name for the race.
That came to me on the way home. I finally decided to call them Srykans. They're from a region of the country called Syrna.
OK! I've been wanting to get those names out of the way for a while.
But wait! I still need names for the king and his advisor!
Ellen helped me with that. (She and Nicole were over for one last visit on friday). We looked up some names on a baby name website. Since the country Reyu is kind of a Chinese/Japanese/ex dragon country, it would make sense for it to be at least slightly Asian in its culture. So, I decided on a Japanese name for the King (since Chao is a Chinese name) and I think we gave the advisor a Korean name. Or was it Vietnamese? Anyway, I wrote some good possibilities for their names. I just have to choose the ones I like most.
Oh, about that. Some of the countries on Taysia (Taysia is the main continent on Soreina) are vaguely based off kinda places.
Like Reyu is Chinese-Dragon shaped. And Leyng is like the South-American winged serpent dragon. So, yeah, they may be a little like those places.
But when the planet was formed during the Second Great Shift, humans were kinda dumped all over the continent, and it was mostly random. So things are really mixed up, at least in our eyes. Try not to equate any region on Soreina with an EXACT region here on Earth.

1 comment:

E said...

Nice to see you're being so productive in class XD

Oh and I changed my penname cause hyperactivesilverredwolf/hyperactivebluechipmunk got too long to write, yeah....