~*~

~*~

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Magic-Earth Conflicts

OK, so I'm gonna take a break from my writing class. Though I'm gonna try to keep ya updated through the semester.
Onto something of my own!
Ellen and Nicole slept over over the weekend, and we discussed Magic-Earth.
They brought up a few things.

Actually, I think I should mention this first. On both Magic-Earth and Soreina, most of the people can talk to animals (and sometimes plants and spirits). In this way, they're connected to the deep levels of nature that most people on our planet have lost. So in some respects, the people on those planets will behave differently that we do.

First of all, religion on Magic-Earth. They do have it. I'm still developing stuff about it. I do have some points down though.
Yeah, they do have religion. Probably most of them believe in a God, but they also have demi-gods that most people believe in too. Again, I'm working on it, but the main one I've designed so far is the Goddess of Mercy. Did I put her picture up already? I think I did. I'll go back and check. Yeah. Here she is at the bottom of the page.
I don't know what the others are yet.
And yeah, there are some religious conflicts, but not nearly as bad as ours.
This has to do with that deep connection to nature. There's less conflict over such stuff.

Another thing they brought up was the order of the Mages. Not everyone on Magic-Earth has magic. Most people don't. The mages sort of run things, because they can break up problems easier than most people, and they can easier deal with the magical disasters that happen on their planet.
But what Ellen and Nicole said was that the non-Magic people would feel suppressed by the minority of mages that sort of ran things.
Let's see... the mages don't actually run things, but I can see what they mean.
The mages are kind of like peace keepers.
You could say they're kind of like the Jedi.
Ah, so my excuse is that deep nature connection thing. Not to say that there aren't conflicts about that. There are. But there's not as many as there might be here.
And the mage system has been going on for so long, and it's been pretty effective, so most people feel secure with how things run. And besides, plenty of normal people are really important too. Just as many, if not more, than the mages. And most mages don't have big important jobs. A lot of them just deal in whatever their magic specializes in. But even in those fields, there's few enough mages in them that it's mostly normal people who are involved in it. And the Magic-Folk too.

Then they started telling me that I should have a main character who's really evil. Maybe I will. Who knows. It might be interesting (I did something like that once - a while ago).
I try to give my villains some more depth than just being purely evil and wanting to kill everything. It's more realistic that bad guys have motives for such things.
But not only that. Truly evil people have been done a lot. Most of the Disney cartoons, Star Wars, Willow, all have plain evil people a villains. It gets done a lot. Don't get me wring! There are tons of awesome movies with evil people. It's just more interesting and less repetitive to do something different with antagonists.
Though I'll probably have at least some evil people. Heheh.

No comments: