~*~

~*~

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Katani

So, I really want to start a new story even though I said I'd start the wyvern prequel.
I came up with the idea this summer at fanime, actually. One of the skits I saw there sparked the idea. An idea about a school divided into two parts. And since then I've incorporated some older ideas too. Like the stuff about the fake prophecy and the king's reaction to it.
Since then, I've been building on the idea. A lot of it has gone to the characters. The main boy is Katani. And he has three friends, two of which sign up for this school with him. Actually, it's not a school, but I"m calling it that for simplicity sake.
Everyone sort of thinks that the one half of the school it much worse than the other, and the three of them expect to get into the good half.
I've been trying to figure out how they choose people for each half. It's not random selection. It's sort of who you ARE that decides where you go. I'm not sure how they decide that though. Anyway, Katani gets a big surprise when the selecting happens.
And then Katani meets four new people at the school.
And then there was everything about what this school was for. That took a while to figure out.
So what I settled on is that there are these two dragon statues, and all of the scales from the statues have been (somehow) scattered all over the country.
(This takes place in the southern country of Taysia -Reyu)

But these two dragon statues are supposed to be guardians of the country.
So, each half of this school is devoted to searching out the scales from one of the dragons. One half finds red scales, the other half finds green scales. Everyone has their own compass-like thing that points to a specific scale.
So, some of these scales are hidden in difficult places. So the people who are tracking them down need special training. And not only that, but as incentive to sign up for this, each recruit gets a dragon egg.
So, as their dragon grows to riding-size, the humans undergo defensive training and such.
Katani gets a storm dragon.
And though Katani's year starts out pretty dreadful, he starts realizing that the "bad half" of the school (in charge of the red dragon) isn't as awful as many people think it is.
Another question. Why do people think this half is so bad? What I decided is that the one half is made up mostly of a race of people that's heavily discriminated against.
That's where I fit in the idea of the prophecy.
The king hears a prophecy that one of the people from this race (I don't know what to call them yet, but they have yellow eyes, silvery hair, and sort of caramel-colored skin, I guess) is supposed to kill him.
The king doesn't want this prophecy to get out because he knows that it would be horrible for the kingdom and he doesn't want this one race to be persecuted. Yet his adviser (who is racist) "accidentally" lets this fact slip, and very soon most of the kingdom has heard that a person from this race is going to kill their beloved king.
This happens a year or two before the story takes place. And during that time, tensions build to dangerous levels between the one race and everyone else. So, they started recruiting people for this school to try to fix the guardian dragons as son as possible so that the dragons can bring peace.
By the time Katani and his friends join, the dragons are nearing completion.
And then at school a couple days ago, I started thinking how I might start the story. I wanted to start it just before the prophecy. There's already some tension between the one race (they really need a name) and everyone else. And a small riot starts. The king flies in on his dragon to break it up.
And then I though, "who's starting the riot? "
So, a couple days ago, I came up with this idea of a gang led by this cool guy (nameless so far) that's made up mostly of this race. And they're sort of trouble makers. I think Katani and co will probably end up meeting them.
After the riot ends, that's when the kind hears about the prophecy from his adviser.
Then we skip forwards two or so years to Katani and his friends getting ready to sign up for the school.
Yeah.
So, some big gaps. But I'm really excited about this one. Even more than some of the others I really want to write. I just need to fill some of the gaps.

No comments: