~*~

~*~

Monday, September 27, 2010

CW-Eavesdropping

I should have actually posted this last tuesday. My posts about my class always kinda of get bunched together.
So, at the beginning of the class, we were assigned to write 5 sensory observations a week. Remember?
On tuesday, that changed. We now have an assignment to listen in to other people's conversations, and write down 5 things a week (this assignment is not limited by syllables). This is in the hope that you will hear something very interesting by listening to other people. And you know what? I did. You can hear lots of interesting things by sitting by the walkways at school and listening to people that walk by. Or even better, if you can find a group of people who aren't moving.
Let me share some of the better ones with you.
This one was actually during my band rehearsal.
"I've never seen anyone dampen a base drum that way before - with their face."
This was from a girl who was talking to her friends on campus.
"I thought when I was little that I was a mermaid. My dad had a skin condition on his legs that looks like scales. I didn't think I could go in the pool or my tail would pop out."
And then a little girl at the humane society.
"That was the name of my invisible friend."
But the very best on actually happened the week before this was assigned, two thursdays ago. I was walking back to my car after class and I heard some girls behind me talking.
"It's the second week of class and we still haven't done any yoga yet." (I immediately start to listen because my dad teaches yoga there, and there's a very good chance that they're talking about him) "His name's Laurence Caughlan" (Except they pronounced it Koff-lan instead of Cog-lan) "but on his yoga book, he's called Lar. No one's called Lar. It's always Larry."
I was fighting so hard not to burst out laughing. I really wanted to turn around and say something. But seriously, what are the odds of that? You're talking to your friends about your new yoga teacher, and that yoga teacher's daughter happens to be standing in front of you, listening to everything you say!

No comments: